Thursday, March 15, 2018

Oh! Another Thing About What’s Going On With Us...

Soooo... it’s not THAT kind of announcement. Well, it is. But, maybe not what you’re thinking. <3

Ever wanted to share a story, but feel like you need to use a dream sequence filter and play those chime sounds for everyone? Let’s do that now... 

Early in our marriage, and even when we were dating, Damion and I had lots of conversations about children, child-bearing, adoption, and thanks to friends of ours who introduced the deeper ins and outs to both of us, foster care. I’ve wanted to be a mother for a really long time. (Even in my high school years when my aspirations included being a writer/editor for Sports Illustrated, I “planned” to have kids and just get a nanny. Ha!) To be frank, as I got older, I worried about my physical ability to do that “the natural way.” I’ve battled some women’s health issues for lots of years, and my weight has been a concern for me and my health care providers.

As the years have gone by in our marriage (we are about to celebrate 4 years on April 5!), the possibilities of growing our family didn’t seem to narrow, though. Isn’t God good like that? Damion and I shared many tearful, heart-searching conversations where we felt it was important to come to agreement on our future in this area of life. God is the Author of Peace, and I am so grateful that neither of us felt any pressure from one another. I especially “worried” about this because Damion is so much younger than me, and of course, I felt like he may feel slighted by me.. you know? But, since we know that God is the Creator of Life, we also trusted that if He was to make a way for us to have a biological child, He would. 

What I love, though, is that neither Damion nor myself have ever felt like Adoption or Foster Care has to be Plan B for us. In fact, we probably talked about this as often as we talked about having biological children. I have been among many communities of families and friends who have chosen adoption. I’ve learned from each of you! The struggles, the waiting, the joys, victories, patience, praying, finances, legal paperwork, etc.

So, after we moved to Virginia last year (we arrived at our home a year ago exactly - 3/17), our desire to grow our family became more urgent. We just felt a bit more “ready,” you know? :o) Our Friends here in town who are foster parents helped to connect us with their social worker, and last Fall, we began our official journey to become licensed as well. We took the classes, filled out all the paperwork, and even had our home study visit in December right before Christmas. Afterward, we had a few more documents to take care of, but finally, everything was submitted. 

About two weeks ago, we got the call. 
We are approved. Our actual license arrived this week. My heart fluttered with anticipation, nervousness, and lots of excitement. We are thrilled! 

Our families have been SO supportive and happy. That’s such a blessing! We don’t know exactly what will happen next, but we know that He is in control. We trust that whatever happens, He can be trusted. We know that this may lead to lots of heartaches and trials, He will comfort us. We know that whatever circumstances arise, He has provided us love and support and advice from so many friends and family. We are grateful! 

It is our desire to adopt through the foster system, but we also plan to continue to foster as long as we are able! <3 




No comments:

Post a Comment